You may have a vision of the home and family you desire for your child when choosing an adoptive family. The adoption process gives you the opportunity to select which family will raise your child.
Here are some questions to help you visualize the family you desire for your child:
- How many other children do you have, or plan to have?
- Why do you want to adopt?
- Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what kind?
- Where do you live and what will the living conditions be like for the child? What is your community like?
- Do you have plans to move?
- What are your religious/spiritual views?
- How much contact would you like to have with me?
- What is your educational background?
- What is your current occupation?
- What will make you good parents?
- What’s your relationship like with extended family?
- Who will the child spend most of their time with?
- What are your hobbies and interests? What are your goals for the future?
- What type of education would you make available for the child?
- Do you have a college savings plan?
- What are your family values and views on parenting?
- What kind of future do you envision for the child?
There is a lot to consider when choosing an adoptive family, but it always starts with asking yourself what’s important to you in a family.
Ready to start your search? Please feel free to look through our profiles of adoptive families.