Biological Father

One of the most stressful aspects of an unexpected pregnancy is determining the role of the biological father. Below is a list of questions Megan often receives from expectant mothers considering adoption.

The consent of a birth father in Kansas is not required. You should inform the adoption professionals you are working with about the birth father’s position as early in the adoption plan as possible.
It’s okay! It is quite common that the identity of a birth father is unknown or that there are more than one possible father. Under either scenario, the adoption can proceed.
In Kansas, the father of a child being adopted must be legally notified of the adoption proceedings.
In Kansas, a birth father can consent prior to the baby being born. He can do so before or after as you both prefer. A consent prior to the baby being born is final when signed as it would be after the child’s birth.
You should speak to the adoption professionals as to the best way to proceed. You will not be required to have contact with him but will be asked to provide contact information so the attorney or agency can reach out to him appropriately.
What a birth father does during the pregnancy can affect the adoption. It is important to communicate honestly with your adoption team about all the contact you have with the biological father during the pregnancy.
Your husband will need to be informed regarding the adoption. It is very important to be sure to inform your adoption team if you are currently married even if you are separated and even if you have been separated for an extended period of time.
The court can terminate a birth father’s rights even if he disagrees with the adoption if certain facts are proven. The Court will look at what support was provided and his fitness to parent among other factors.
Your rights as the biological mother will not be terminated. The child does not go to the birth father. Instead, the baby would go back to you, as the child’s natural mother, and the birth father would have to file a paternity action to seek custody or visitation.